Original Post

loachman
Dec 16, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Hi, I am wanting to start learning python, can I get some recommendations for a good free IDE. I use eclipse for my java work and would like to know if something similar exists for python development. Thanks

Codeka
Dec 16, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Have you seen PyDev? It's an Eclipse plugin for Python.

smitty1276
Dec 16, 2008 at 12:27 AM

There's always IronPython for VisualStudio, if that's your cup of tea.

For lighter "scripting" languages, I personally like e-TextEditor, which is a clone of Mac's TextMate. It isn't free, but it's worth the $30 or whatever I paid for it.

And, of course, you'll get tons of good recommendations from people who actually use python a lot. I've seen this very question asked numerous times on GameDev.

monp
Dec 16, 2008 at 12:31 AM

For python I just use Notepad++ or PyPE.

loachman
Dec 16, 2008 at 12:34 AM

Thanks for the replies,

I'll take a look into them but pydev seems pretty interesting.

I'm a big fan of code assist/completion or maybe a bit lazy :-).

Thanks

Gyrthok
Dec 16, 2008 at 1:04 AM

Open Komodo is also pretty good.

Ademan555
Dec 16, 2008 at 1:18 AM

I personally use vim which can be customized through plugins to be a very robust python IDE, but people used to classic IDEs will probably hate it, with that in mind, I suggest the eric python ide, or stani's python editor. I'm not sure if stani's will work on windows though...

Splinter of Chaos
Dec 16, 2008 at 2:02 AM

I too support Vim, but it's an editor that takes a while to learn. I mean, the default mode of operations doesn't allow you to edit! You have to press i to go into insert mode, then start typing, and it's escape to get back into normal mode.

A friend of mine uses Emacs, which I think has similarities, but doesn't have the mode system.

But, people use tools like Vim and Emacs because they're very powerful. And by getting plugins for Vim, which most are installed just by putting in the plugin folder, it becomes even more powerful!

I'd only suggest Vim if you're willing to take the time to be more efficient with it than a normal editor. Also, if you're willing to spend time googling tips on how to use it even better.

Erik23a86
Dec 16, 2008 at 2:11 AM

I like PyScripter, it's small and easy to use :).

zer0wolf
Dec 16, 2008 at 8:42 AM

I was using PyScripter for a while, but I've switched to Eclipse + PyDev. Python 3.0 was crashing PyScripter for some reason. Instead of hassling with figuring out why, I just switched over.

If you're already using Eclipse for Java, then nabbing up PyDev for doing Python programming as well with Eclipse makes sense.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.